Daily Dose of Self Care.
Recently I asked via my Instastories what topics you’d be interested in reading about, & what I do for self care came up multiple times.
So here are my thoughts & habits on self care…
A daily self care routine is something I hold in high regard. I view is as something that is more than important… it’s crucial. It’s easy to neglect taking care of ourselves because when we’re busy & overwhelmed, even a small reprieve feels like a luxury. So actually taking time to eat lunch, exercise, & hang out with friends? I have to talk myself out of having a guilty conscience…
Reasons Why Self Care is Important to Me…
- Slow down to speed up. A girlfriend told me this once, & this concept always rings true for me. I always find that when I slow down by taking a step away, I come back moving faster, further & with greater purpose later.
- To prevent burnout. I have the tendency to think I can do *all the things*… & I’m always wrong. Ever been there? You push yourself to the point that you can’t take anymore so you just give up? Self care helps me avoid getting to that point.
- Stress reduction. I’m completely OK with a little stress… in fact, I thrive in it. However, because there are limits to everything, after awhile I can literally feel it breaking down my mind & body. body.
The self care I do on the daily…
There are so many ways to practice self care &, depending on what I need most in the moment, my self care routine can vary. However, there are a few things I do every.single.day that I consider to be ways that I take are of me.
- I workout. My fitness motivation stems from many things, with my physical health being a top priority. However, my gym time is also my time to escape the intensity of my daily life & sweat the stressors out. The physical activity releases the happy hormones that make me feel like my best self.
- I journal. Obviously, writing is an outlet for me. Taking time out in my day specifically for writing down what I’m feeling & what’s on my mind forces me to reflect, which feels a lot like letting go. It forces “me time” & I often feel like the ideas just keep coming, once I start.
- I pamper. I view a great skincare routine as a form of self care. I love cleansing my skin & smoothing on a favorite face mask. Lately, I’ve been obsessed with Summer Friday’s Overtime Mask.
- I digitally detox. I live a lot of my life online & even I get overwhelmed sometimes. When I take a break, I like to turn off my phone & stop checking emails & social feeds for a little bit of time. Being on my phone or computer all the time can get mentally draining, so this allows me to temporarily be off the radar & not feel like I’m working 24/7.
- I read. While I really do love a great girl power career book, reading them still feels like work. When I want to take care of me I get lost in a great novel. I always have a “must read” list a mile long. Here’s what I’ve been reading this summer.
What do you like to do for a daily does of self care?